April 30, 2012

Prayer Is Powerful But...

"Birth control is not one-size-fits-all. Find the method that fits and may be right for you." I've read that somewhere sometime ago. So true. And I agree. A method that's working perfectly for one woman may not work for the next. Unfortunately, I have not found the method that's best for me. As of this moment, I don't use any method at all. Elmer and I do exactly what my friend Golden and her husband do. We "pray".

Lemme just share a funny story about this "praying" thingy. 

Golden and her very preggy friend Kharen and I (and maybe some others on that table that I just cannot remember) were having lunch at the pantry when our conversation interestingly segued to a topic about contraceptives and birth control methods. Share-share of methods used. I shared my method which is none. Golden's answer was really funny. It cracked me up.

Me: Kayo Golden, anong ginagamit niyong method?

In a very  serious manner...

Golden: Nagp-pray kami. 

Then we super laughed. I didn't know until that time that we've been using the same method, which is none. She's just more religious that I am because she adds some prayer to it. ^_^

What methods have I already tried? Hmmm. Let's see.

Barrier Method (Condoms). Elmer and I have tried it once when we were so much younger, and never again. Elmer and I didn't like it. There's actually a funny story behind it which I'm not yet ready to share right now. ^_^

Hormonal Method (Shots, Birth Control Pills). I had taken an injectable contraceptive shot once right after giving birth to Nikki, and never again. I never liked its effect on me. I suffered from dry skin and felt that "everything" was just dry. Contraceptive pills on the other hand got me nauseaus and moody and gave me terrible headaches. So I decided to stop taking them.

Natural Family Planning (Fertility Awareness). Some years ago, Elmer and I tried using this. But there was a period of time that I had a wrong notion about the color and texture of the cervical mucus. When it's clear and slippery, you are most fertile. When it's cloudy and sticky, you are least fertile. I got that all interchanged at some point before. That was when I was younger, less experienced and less educated about these stuff. You know, Elmer trusted me on that. I couldn't blame him. I should know these stuff better than he would. Forgive my ignorance. As a result, we have Nikki and Calli. Trust me, we're so much better now. But we don't really trust this method. 

There seems to be no method that works perfectly for me. Elmer and I are no religious persons but we told ourselves we gotta learn to pray. We're learning. ^_^

Lately, I've been worried and feeling guilty that I might already be becoming selfish to Elmer for intentionally ignoring his request to consult my OB-Gyne on what better oral contraceptive pills I can use - those that will not get me nauseaus and moody and not give me terrible headaches. To him, and also to me, my taking oral contraceptive pills is the most convenient method for us. I just have to find the right kind for me. (I suppose I do not have to explain further why Elmer is very desirous for me to use oral contraceptive pills. Alam na!)

Apparently, it was not just me becoming selfish. Yesterday, Elmer surpised me with something. He bought me this.

Taran!

We were just talking and joking the night before last about him buying me one. Sineryoso?! He said, I should already start taking them. He begged, "Kahit one month lang, please?" Okay, siya na ang OB-gyne! I took one last night before heading to bed. This morning, I felt sick like I wanted to vomit. I knew that was gonna happen. So I'm thinking if I still want to continue taking them. Nakakasuka lang talaga!

So, if ever I decide that I do not want to take them anymore, I will just continue to...pray. I guess I have to submit to Elmer's request to consult my OB-gyne ASAP. Of course, prayer is powerful but precaution is so much safer.

You ladies, what method works perfectly for you? 

Ciao! ♥

3 comments:

  1. This one's interesting! Clyde and I use the natural method. May app ako sa phone ko na ngttrack kung kelan ako fertile at safe. accurate sya!pramis! kaya sa phone ni elmer magdownload ka ng period tracker na app. yan ay kung regular ang period mo. ayoko ng injectables bloated ako at katulad sayo "dry" haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Thanks for the tip Apol. Makapag-download nga ng ganyang app. Regular naman ang period ko e. Hihi! ^_^

      Delete
  2. pink pad pro pala ang tawag dun sa ginagamit ko.kasi un ang pinakaaccurate.ung ibang period tracker mali mali.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead. Make my day!